Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

let's get cookin'

I love to cook. Even from my teeny tiny kitchen, I find myself whipping up masterpieces (I can call them that because I'm the only critic), a few times a week. It is a cathartic thing for me, and some people have even told me to become a chef.

Yeah right. There wouldn't be any food for my customers. 

Moving on...

A cook is only as good as his tools. Like an artist really. There are some gadgets (or tricks as I call them) that I've learned I cannot live without. 

1. A microplane will save you days in the kitchen when you're zesting, shredding, etc.
2. A garlic roller (or car as I call it) is AMAZING at cutting up garlic. And, only $10! 
3. A grill pan - makes you feel like you can grill all year long.
4. Got this Silpat for Christmas, and I've never had better tasting cookies.
5. A grapefruit spoon - genius.
6. Apple Corer - makes eating cut apples a breeze.
7. A meat thermometer - only recently invested in this, and it keeps my meat looking pretty without all my cut marks to check if it's ready.
8. A Keurig. Need I say more? 

What tools do you use that you can't live without? I'm always looking for new ways to simplify my cooking.

17 comments:

Sheri Ann || Sprinkles and Style said...

I love cooking and baking too. This is great round up of things everyone should have in their kitchen. I definitely agree with everything you have here. I would add a handheld mixer to the list of essentials.

Lauren {Stylized Existence} said...

I agree with ALL of these but have three additions: 1) Microplane to grate ginger, citrus skin, nutmeg, etc... 2) Mandolin to thinly slice things like sweet potatoes, zucchini, apples 3) Nespresso Single Serve Espresso maker = best $300 ever, EVER spent. And no more racking up $30+ per month at Starbucks (http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446442975&afsrc=1&site_refer=GGLPRADS001&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=0457147188342&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword})

Lauren {Stylized Existence} said...

Ha. Wow. Brain not working... somehow my eyes totally missed your FIRST item... whew.. it's only Tuesday... get me a drink!

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

Love seeing all of your suggestions. Gives me ideas on what to register for! I just recently got a CuisnArt and it has already changed my life!! We also got a grill pan, used it last night, amazing!

Alessandra said...

I NEED that garlic car thing...I pretty much put garlic in everything (ask C) and I hate that my fingers always smell for days...NEED IT NOW!

(PS you're the best)

viv said...

These are all great suggestions! I've been wanting to get one of those garlic "cars" for a while and I think you've convinced me.

Alexa said...

I love my garlic mincer! :)

Natalie said...

I'm intrigued by the garlic roller!

Can't live without my CuisineArt food processor -- I use it all the time!

Taylor said...

I have never even heard of a garlic roller - that looks amazing!! My biggest cooking wishlist item right now is a food processor.... I feel like so many of my girl Ina's recipe' require one, and my culinary masterpieces (I agree...we can totally call them that) would be so much better with one!

http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/

One Stylish Day at a Time said...

A silpat has saved me so much time washing dishes! And you're right, the cookies come out so much better!

Anonymous said...

This is inspiring me to cook...pretty scary. I have no idea what I'm doing in the kitchen! xo Elizabeth

Jess said...

The meat thermometer is seriously my favorite kitchen tool. I'm paranoid about poisoning myself with undercooked chicken, so now I can eat happily without worry!

Sarah Rall said...

think my fave one is the garlic cutter! i need that, i hate mincing garlic and having it all over my hands, must buy!
http://sawatdeeyall.blogspot.com/

Bud and Leo said...

Oh I didn't know the Keurig comes in silver! I want that one! ;)

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

I heart my silpat!! What is this garlic car you speak of?? I need this!

sarah | chevrons and stripes said...

I'm in the process of registering for my wedding and this is so so helpful! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Roads said...

Great gadgets, I'm going to pick up a garlic car thing. I figured they didn't work.