Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, April 27, 2012

thank you.

As most of you know, this is my last weekend in NYC. As of Sunday, I'll officially be back home in Chicago. 

The past year has been one of the craziest adventures of my life, and I wouldn't have done anything differently. I moved here, from Dallas, less then two weeks after graduating, only knowing a few people. As I quickly became unhappy at work, I started daydreaming about starting a blog. 


Well, that became a reality. One I never thought possible.

As I close one chapter of my life, it is with bittersweet emotions that I begin the next. It's never easy to uproot your life, and move to a foreign place. However, I believe that you learn the most about yourself, and what you want from life, when you are put in new and unfamiliar situations. 

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious, and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

In the past five years, I've lived in Chicago, Dallas, Paris and New York. 


When I moved to Dallas, I didn't think I could do it. 

I did.

When I moved to Paris, I nearly freaked out. 

I stayed and fell in love with the city.

When I moved to New York, I thought I was a nut case.

It was the best decision of my life.

I can't adequately put into words what this blog, and NYC has meant to me. And because I'm no good at goodbyes, I want to say
Thank you to my readers for reading every day.
Thank you for inspiring me.
Thank you for pushing me to be a better blogger.
Thank you to the bloggers I've met and love.
Thank you to New York for being the best jungle to learn and thrive in.
Thank you to my sister for always being by my side here.
Thank you to my brother and soon-to-be sister for giving me wise advice along the way.
Thank you to my Parent's for supporting my decisions, and allowing me to pursue my passions.
Thank you to the friends who dealt with late night phone calls.
Thank you. 

After five years, four cities and endless boxes, I'm ready to call Chicago home.

"...to me it's so damn easy to see
that true people are the people at home.

Well, I've been away but now I'm back today,

and there ain't a place I'd rather go."




23 comments:

Sadie + Stella said...

Girlfriend, you will be awesome! Chicago is the best. My whole family lives there. You will be brilliant anywhere you are!

Carly Haslee said...

Still can't handle this post. You have amazing, amazing things in store for you! Chicago is lucky to have you back. xoxo

Unknown said...

What a sweet ode to New York! It's always sad to close a chapter of your life but exciting to open a new door. So many amazing things in store for you, my dear! xx

Jess said...

Loved this post. This is what we do—we move around, we learn from it, we grow. Best of luck to you in moving back to Chicago, and I can't wait to see what you do!

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

Aw I love this post. So excited for you and your next chapter!

viv said...

This post just got me teary eyed. Your future holds amazing things in Chicago or wherever it is that life takes you! See you in June in your new home ;) xoxox

christin said...

Stop. It.

I love you!

Susan said...

That's so sweet and I'm so excited for your next chapter (I feel the same way so I can relate!) Have safe travels back to the Chi! Great things in store!

Natalie said...

Congratulations on your next chapter in life -- you have so much going for you and Chicago will be incredible! {Also so sad that you're leaving NY as we're moving in!}

One Stylish Day at a Time said...

Wow, I really admire your bravery! It talkes a lot to move to a new city where you don't know anyone!

Taylor said...

aw this post is so sweet and sentimental! congratulations on the next chapter lady! see you very soon!!!
xo
http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/

Lisa // Elembee, Etc said...

What a great goodbye. Here's to the next chapter! Good luck!

Alexa said...

Aw. I got kind of teary eyed reading this! Good luck with the move and enjoy your new city! :)

purdy said...

WOW!! I admire you for being spontaneous & taking chances in life.
All the best in Chicago. You will be at home in no time. :)

Cheers to a new chapter!!

Purdy

Lauren and Trevor Cook said...

Just teared up reading this post.. proud of you for chasing your dreams :)

Love, Lauren

Allie said...

good luck moving!!

Unknown said...

I think it is so incredible that you have lived so many places! What a great experience!!! I was a bit worried though that you are saying good bye to blogging...but that is not true, right?! just bye to nyc? happy weekend to you & all the best in your new adventure :) XO brynn

Giovanna said...

Congrats on the next chapter of your life! I'm sure it'll be amazing!

xx
Giovanna
www.oliveandanarrow.com

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

Cheers to you my adventurous amazing dreamer. You have so many amazing chapters and adventures ahead of you in Chicago and I can't wait to hear all about them. I will see you soon ok latisha?? Hopefully this weekend before you leave? Bella is not ready.

Elisa @ Crazy, Amazing Life said...

Being a serial expat and having moved my share of times myself, I can relate - I left New York a few years ago and while I miss it, I also think that a new place, a new adventure can be a great challenge and help us grow and find out more about ourselves, what we cant handle, our strength, our resourcefulness.

Enjoy your life in Chicago! I was only there once for a weekend, but it seems to me like a pretty great city!

daniela said...

Great way of saying goodbye, your bravery is truly inspiring!! Good luck on your next chapter. I can't wait to read about it!

http://thegoldenavenue.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Good luck! Chicago is awesome! I lived and worked there for 5 years. :) Just found your blog and can't wait to read more!

lauren @ la petite fashionista said...

you've already had so much adventure in your life and accomplished so much! that's the great thing about blogging is to be able to look back at all of your experiences.

Best of luck back in chi-town, the midwest is pretty great too!:)