Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

guest post: sam of the peak of tres chic

Since I am in Paris today, I thought it would be fitting to have the always chic Sam give us all a brief history lesson in style and fashion. Parfait, n'est pas?  


Bonjour, Urban Slant readers!  This is Sam from The Peak of Tres Chic, a lifestyle blog I curate that focuses on interior design and fashion.  I am thrilled to be here posting while Julia is off traveling the world.  I just adore Urban Slant and like to live vicariously through Julia and all the other New Yorkers who get to experience the city every day. 


If it wasn't already apparent from the title of my blog, I just adore French style.  Tres chic is French for "very stylish", or "very cool."  I have always been mesmerized by how effortlessly stylish the French are. 


 Since Julia is in Europe and because I want to pay homage to beloved France, my post today focuses on the Louis-style chair.  But first, a small history lesson (I promise I won't bore you!)

Although comfort is a huge priority when purchasing furniture these days, this wasn't always the case!  In fact, it wasn't until the reign of Louis XIII that furniture actually became comfortable for the first time.  Furniture was named after the reigning monarch at the time.  In previous centuries, royalty always defined fashion and design, what was "in vogue" and what was out.  Fashion came from the top down.  It wasn't at all like today- when we often see street style represented on runways.   Lucky for us, Julia Rothman provided a visual representation of the different Louis chairs on her website.




Here's a dining room I love that features the Louis XIII chair.  


As you can see, King Louis XIII's style of chair was rigid, short in the back and square in shape.


I would reccommend using King Louis XIII style chairs at kitchen tables or at desks.  However, when decorating a more casual space, these chairs will likely be too rigid.  I would choose the more relaxed King Louis XV in rooms where people will be relaxing, watching TV, or lounging.

Next up is the King Louis XIV chair. King Louis XIV was the infamous Sun God.  During his reign, chair styles became larger to accommodate the more ornate fashions of the day.   As you can probably guess, the Louis XIV was often very ornate and opulent.   Although I had trouble tracking down a good interior representation of this chair, I thought this King Louis XIV-like chair was too gorgeous not to feature.  How wonderful is the Kelly Wearstler fabric?!


I also adore this King Louis XIV chair.  Gorgeousness, no?


The King Louis XV chair is by far my most favorite and also the most popular today.  After the death of the Sun God, French design became much simpler and quieter.  Comfort became the main priority.  Madame de Pompadour starting coming around the Palace of Versailles at this time, as a mistress to King Louis XV.  Her influence on the King and on French design was very prominent. 




Last but certainly not least, the King Louis XVI chair.  These chairs always have the fluted leg shown above in the picture.  We see a transition from the Rococco (curved back) to the Neoclassical again (straight back).  Although King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were both imprisoned and eventually killed, the Neoclassical trend they favored had a lasting impact.



 Which Louis-style chair is your favorite?  Seeing all these pretty chairs makes me want to go re-tour the Palace of Versailles.  The French had such opulent taste, then!  
I hope you enjoyed my post and weren't too bored with a small history lesson.  
Thanks again for having me, Julia!

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9
Historical Information from here.

13 comments:

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

Ohhh love this education on the beautiful collection of French chairs!!

Landi said...

My favorite by far is the King Louis XV chair. I adore the oval back and love when they are decorated with timeless fabrics. I actually took a class last semester called, The History of Interiors I, (I have to take the 2nd but will next semester) and did a project all about this particular style. You're right, Sam, it's very TRES CHIC, mwah! Julia - hope you're still enjoying every minute of your travels. Still completely and utterly jealous.

Sarah Roads said...

I love a good Louis! Great history lesson and beautiful examples!

Patty [PRETTYGROUNDED] said...

The rooms are absolutely inspiring. Refreshing step back from what's "cool" these days. Thanks for sharing!

Patty

Laura said...

what a great guest post- she chose such gorgeous chairs!! oh- and julia- you're mentioned in the blog today, make sure you go check it out!
xo
laura

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

Thank you so much for having me, Julia! I had a great time putting this post together. :) Hope you are having an amazing time in Europe!

viv said...

Great lesson, Sam! I love every single one of these chair styles.

Anonymous said...

Wow I have learned so much!!! Thanks for this post. I am a big fan of the Louis XV chair!! great job!! xooxo elizabeth

Carly Haslee said...

I really can't choose a favorite. I would gladly welcome any into my apartment with open arms. Loving this history lesson, Sam! xo

L.A. in the bay said...

these chairs are gorgeous and thanks for the info, never knew that! :)

Unknown said...

cheap jordan shoes
skechers go walk
oakley store online
louboutin shoes
skechers shoes
nike huaraches
michael kors purses
ray ban sunglasses
cheap jordans
tiffany and co outlet

Unknown said...

true religion jeans sale could
nba jerseys post
chargers jerseys of
michael kors outlet post
michael kors outlet store drawing.
cheap nhl jerseys Friday
christian louboutin shoes this
cheap jordan shoes my
boston celtics We
replica watches items!

Unknown said...

louboutin outlet
canada goose sale
ed hardy uk
longchamp bags
coach outlet store online
hugo boss suits
ugg boots outlet
louis vuitton uk
rolex watches
cheap ray bans
zhi20161209