Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

leap of faith: liz from sequins and stripes

Today I'm excited to bring you the second installment of Leap of Faith. I was so honored that Liz, the genius behind Sequins & Stripes and stylist at Elizabeth Schneider Styling, agreed to share her story. She is one of my daily reads, and always offers the most perfect styling tips and advice.  

What was your major in college/what was your first job out of college? 
I majored in Textiles and Clothing with a focus in consumer trends, buying and merchandising. After I graduated I took a job as a clothing buyer for a small Midwest boutique chain based in the suburbs of Chicago.

How long did it take to realize it wasn't for you? What were the initial signs of "help! get me out of here!"?
I have to say that I actually really enjoyed my job but I decided after a couple of years in the position that I wouldn’t be given ample opportunity to do what I love. So, I put in my two weeks, took a few classes in fashion design, started a blog, and took a job with a contractor in Chicago before eventually making the leap into styling!

What was the first thing you did after you left your job? scream? cry? take a trip?
I was so excited! I felt like I had a clean slate to create the life that I wanted to live. I left my desk job in September of 2011, went to Europe for a month, and officially launched styling services in January 2012.

What sort of "homework" did you do before turning your passion into a career? (masters program, networking, online research etc)?
My blog was a huge starting point for launching my business. Aside from creating a platform for my personal style through Sequins & Stripes, I spoke with local stylists and sort of just went with my gut!

How long have you been working for yourself?
Sequins & Stripes, LLC was created in September 2011.

What is the scariest thing about doing what you did?
I think the uncertainty of it all is the biggest stress. Running a company is so far from glamorous, and staying determined and confident in what you have to offer is the only way to see success.

Do you ever regret leaving your day job?
When I let myself get discouraged, then I can catch myself missing the comfort and stability of my day job, but I have never looked back! This leap has been completely liberating and rewarding.

What is your #1 piece of advice to people scared to follow their dreams in fear of failure?
Honestly it is tough. All you can do is believe in yourself, push forward, and trust that everyday will be better than the last. Be confident, you only have one life to make your dreams a reality! 


Thank you for your inspiring story Liz! Be sure to check out her blog, if you don't already (which you should!) xo

23 comments:

Caitlin said...

definitely one of my favorites :) great post, ladies.

christin said...

I love her! Seriously. I want to fly her to NYC so she can style me. And I want to quit my job...so bad...but this NYC rent is so not forgiving.

Jaclyn Helminiak said...

Such a cute and inspiring series!! Love it :)

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

So excited for Liz, she has such exciting things ahead!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for featuring me in the Leap of Faith series! So inspiring and honored to be included! xo

Natalie said...

I'm so excited that Liz's feature led me to your blog. I adore her site, and I'm so excited to explore yours as well (loving what I'm seeing thus far). This is a great series; thanks so much for the inspiration, gals! :)

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

Oh so inspired by Liz. What bravery it took to quit her job to pursue her passion.

XO,

Sam
www.ThePeakofTresChic.com

Lara {simply irresistible} said...

Love hearing these stories! Liz is one of my favorite bloggers and I always find her words so inspiring.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Liz is such an inspiration to us all! I know she is going to be a great success.

Amanda || Eclectic Snapshots said...

Such a great series!

Ashley {styleash} said...

I can't tell you enough how much I love this series. Liz is such an inspiration and it's amazing how quickly she's become one of my favorite blogs to read. xx

Anonymous said...

Great post!! She is so inspiring!! xoxo elizabeth

ashley nicole catherine said...

have i told you how much i love this series?? liz has such great style and SUCH a great attitude about her business, i know she'll be a success! xo

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

I love this series, so inspiring!! Liz knows style, so I know she will be a big success!

Natalie said...

Love this -- so inspiring!

Sarah van Loon said...

Came over from Liz's blog - thank you so much for featuring her! I knew that she launched her own Styling company, but I didn't realize that she completely left her job in September to do this. This interview was really fascinating - thank you so much for asking those 'basic' questions that aren't always answered in a personal blog (or aren't always obvious to a new reader) - I loved getting a look into Liz's mind! Thanks! :)

viv said...

I love learning about blogger's inspirational stories and Liz is definitely an inspiration! Thanks for sharing, Liz!

Jillian Nicole said...

Such a fun series! I love reading about all these super amazing and brave women! I'm in the very beginning stages of starting my own business, so it's so inspiring to hear them talk about how its all turned out!:)

Unknown said...

Love Liz! She is an inspiration and her style is impeccable.

Carly Haslee said...

Love Liz, love this series...any more questions? Just perfection.

Anonymous said...

Just started reading your blog. As a 20 something in a job I know is not right for me- these posts are so encouraging! I hope soon I can have the courage to do the same.

L.A. in the bay said...

Great series! Loved reading this! Always curious to learn more about successful blogger's backgrounds.
xo

Drew {Coral Cafe} said...

Such a jewel! I've loved seeing her develop throughout her wonderful journey!