Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, February 16, 2012

leap of faith: roxy from my cup of te/society social


You've probably noticed a theme this week -- tons of leaps of faith! Why? Because I love all of these women, and they are inspiring me so much, that I just had to share their stories with you. 

Today I'm honored to be featuring one of my mentors and newest friends in NYC - Roxy! You might know her from this post, or this post, or even this post. I have a bit of an obsession with her business - Society Social. Best part? She is as sweet and cheery in person as her website. She is an inspiration to us all to pop the champagne and live your best life every day. 

Stay tuned -- I'll be featuring another leap of faith this afternoon. Hint Hint: tomorrow I'm making a HUGE announcement. 

What did you major in college/what was your first job out of college? 
I majored in Business Management with a concentration in Marketing and minored in French at North Carolina State University. I went on to grad school at Parsons The New School for Design in NYC. My inspiring professors and amazing internships convinced me I was meant to be on the business side of fashion and immediately after graduating I was accepted into the executive training program at a major department store. Basically it's the fast track to becoming a fashion buyer!

How long did it take to realize it wasn't for you? What were the initial signs of "help! get me out of here!"?
I gave it a good two years. I really wanted it to work, but the fit just wasn't right. With the economy in the tank, they cut traveling so I was stuck in the office number crunching. That was it. Creatively, I felt like I died. And I could not see myself in my boss' position in 20 years. She was pretty miserable. That's how you know.  

What was the first thing you did after you left your job? scream? cry? take a trip?
It felt so good to peace out on "the man." I basically skipped out of the corporate office then immediately packed up for a solo beach trip to clear my head. Nothing but a good read and the carolina shore. It was re-energizing and a great time to think about the re-direction of my life and career.  

What sort of "homework" did you do before turning your passion into a career? (masters program, networking, online research etc)?
Honestly after being honed in on one thing that you are positive you are meant to be doing, it's intensely disorienting when it doesn't work out. I took about a year to regroup and refocus; my blog, My Cup of Te, was a big part of that. I feel like this description in the about section of my blog explains just how much it really brought me back to life and how it helped me realize what I was most passionate about.

"I started this blog right after escaping the soul-deadening doldrums of my claustrophobic cubicle, in hopes of re-discovering all I felt I had lost, the most vital parts of my true self, the living, breathing parts that make up me, and the parts that are unmistakably My Cup of Te. Here at My Cup of Te, I revel in all things inspiring and happiness-inducing! Things that spark the imagination, awaken a dream, or simply produce a smile!  I truly hope that you enjoy My Cup of Te, but most importantly, I hope that you’ve found yours." 


How long have you been working for yourself?
I launched my business, Society Social, in August 2011 so about 5 months! It's definitely not even close to easy, but I can't complain. I love it!

What is the scariest thing about doing what you did?
What I did in leaving my job was definitely not the scary thing. Sure it was a little nerve-racking giving up a stable salary and benefits, but truly the most terrifying thing is not finding work that doesn't feel like work! I want to "play" the rest of my life :)

Do you ever regret leaving your day job?
NEVER! (insert happy dance) 

What is your #1 piece of advice to people scared to follow their dreams in fear of failure?
Don’t focus on the failure, or even the success. Focus on the things you love and the rest will come. After I left my stable job, I frantically rushed around trying to figure out what it was that I wanted to do with my life.  It seemed the harder I tried to focus in on that “big idea,” the more it eluded me and being unemployed, pinching pennies didn’t help! When I finally quit worrying about “making something of myself” and started pouring my efforts into getting back in touch with all the things I love, again my blog My Cup of Te was a huge part of that, things started to fall into place. And last but not least, don’t confuse “fall into place” with hard work!





The quote is one of my daily mantras and also a Society Social founding principle. It always reminds me to just go for it whether I'm getting dressed, mixing cocktails, or going after my dreams!

Thank you thank you Roxy! xo

11 comments:

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

I love hearing about Roxy's journey, I had no idea what came before Society Social! So excited for Roxy and her amazing success!

Katrine - make it and fake it said...

I love to hear about Roxy!! its so inspiring to hear how she started!! cant wait to follow what happens with her business!

love K

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

What a fabulous story! I adore Roxy and her blog. She is such an inspiring woman! I can't wait to hear your news, Julia! :)


XO,

Sam
www.ThePeakofTresChic.com

viv said...

Roxy's story makes me want to quit my cubicle job too! So inspiring! When can the 3 of us grab dinner?!

Sheri Ann || Sprinkles and Style said...

Great to hear Roxy's story! She gave great advice at the end!

Very excited for your news tomorrow! :]

Catarine Martins said...

I just loved to hear Roxy's story.;)
xoxo.♥

One Stylish Day at a Time said...

Always nice to find out more about the person behind the brand! I always new I loved Roxy's products but now I know I like her just as much!

Alexa said...

Oh I love her. I want to go hang out with her now!

Dara {Habersham Haven} said...

I love this series. I can honestly say that reading the Leap of Faith posts have inspired me to change some things around in my life! I can't wait to hear your news tomorrow!

Courtney said...

I really love this series. It's truly inspiring for me and one day I hope I'll be brave enough to "peace out" like she says.

So excited for your big announcement!

Taylor said...

I love society social - great story to hear!
itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/