Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, February 17, 2012

final leap of faith: yours truly


For the past few weeks I’ve been running the Leap of Faith series. Why? Well, I was getting ready to take my own leap of faith, and needed a nudge in the right direction.
So what’s my big news? Well, today is my last day at my desk job. Wait, what?! Okay, okay here is my story – the abbreviated version (this post will be longer than usual, so hopefully you stay until the end when I share some super fun news).
In college I majored in Advertising (account track) with a minor in French. I chose advertising as a way to explore creativity and business. I minored in French because I’ve always loved the language and culture and knew I wanted to study abroad – which I did my junior year. Less  than two weeks after graduation, I packed up my life in Dallas, made a pit stop back home in Chicago, and then moved to NYC to be an Assistant Account Executive at a large advertising agency (what I thought to be a dream job). 
Soon after starting, I knew something wasn’t right. Honestly, I think I knew before I even accepted the job it wasn’t for me. I felt very pigeon-holed by my major, and thought that I had to take the first job that came my way. I felt very blessed to graduate with a job, but always knew In the back of my mind that it wasn’t the right fit. Soon after moving to NYC, I felt very lost in my day-to-day routine, and dreaded going to work in the morning, ultimately knowing I would go home every night unfulfilled. 
One piece of advice that someone gave me was to look at your boss, and if you didn’t want to be where they are in a few years, then you should re-evaluate what you’re doing. I did this, and immediately panicked. I knew something had to change.
After months of deliberation, networking, blogging and late night phone calls to my parents, I stumbled across a great opportunity that I couldn’t pass up.
After a much needed European vacation next week, I will officially be an Associate of…
Insert SERIOUS happy dance.
I decided that life was entirely too short to not be doing what you love. I love weddings, social media, and marketing. I’ll be incorporating all of these passions while assisting Tamra. It’s still surreal to me that this is actually happening.
Talk about a leap of faith. I have no idea what my future holds in the long term, but my short-term plan is shaping to be pretty fabulous (and filled with cake, lots of cake).
No, I’m not starting my own company. Or running for President. Or writing the next Hunger Games Trilogy (well not yet anyways). But I am finally listening to the voice inside me that was screaming for a change, and I am taking a giant step in the direction of my dreams.
I hope that this series has inspired all of you to think about your passions in life, and how you want to live. The blogging world can be overwhelming at times when you feel like you’re surrounded by women who have it all. I take it all with a grain of salt, and realize that these women are successful because of their ambition, determination, work ethic and passion for what they do.
I can’t wait to keep you all updated on my life over the next few months, and I hope you all continue to stay on this blogging journey with me.  

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I'll be galavanting around Europe for the next week or so, so stay tuned for some fabulous guest posts. xo

39 comments:

Carly Haslee said...

SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!! Happy last day at your desk job. You have so much yet to come, and I can only imagine the amazing-ness that is you and Tamra working together-inspiring duo. PS: I would totally buy your book series one day. Cheers to a fabulous weekend celebrating what's to come!!! Wish I were in NYC to pour you a drink when you're done today. xo

ali v. said...

so incredibly proud of you, my dear! Tamra is lucky to have you :) WHAT INCREDIBLE NEWS! I so wish I could make my own leap of faith....one day ;) yayyyyyy for you!!!!! xoxo {av}

Shanelle said...

ahh oh. my gosh!!!!! I'm so so so happy for you and had a feeling this was coming! So jealous. I wish I had that kind of courage. Hopefully someday! Can we please please please meet up when you get back. I have to hear all about this! Congrats. I have no doubt you will be AMAZINGLY successful at Everswoon.

Do I REALLY have to go into work today?! this makes it so much harder.

wwwaahooooo!!!

xo

Lisa @ Elembee, Etc said...

Congratulations!! So, so excited for you. I also took the first job offered because I thought it was what I was supposed to do, and it took me much longer than you to realize I could make my own path. My own leap of faith is coming soon, and I've been so inspired by your series — I hope you'll continue it! Congrats again!

Melissa said...

Wow, ever swoon?! Soooo fun. Happy last day and congrats! I'll definitely be following along - can't wait to hear about your transition and the new job... Enjoy your trip!

Unknown said...

OH my gosh!! SO exciting! What a power duo you two will be, can't wait to see all of the successes. Have an amazing time in Europe! xoxo

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

Ahhh I am so so so excited for you. You have amazing things to come, not to mention an incredible and well deserved vacation!!!

Alessandra said...

So proud of your Julia! I hope to someday be able to post a similar success story!! Good luck in your new position! Seems like a WONDERFUL fit!

Unknown said...

YAY JULIA!!! This is amazing news and I couldn't be more thrilled for you. Cheers to doing big things in 2012!!! xoxoxoxo

Natalie said...

This is fantastic news! On my gosh, congrats!! This is so exciting and that gig sounds like a dream job. I'm sure it'll be challenging, but what a great perspective you have going into it. Thank you for inspiring us all this week and moving forward. Can't wait to hear about your adventures in Europe and in your new position! xo

viv said...

I'M SO PROUD AND EXCITED FOR YOU!!! Only amazing things are coming your way! xox

madeline said...

congrats! that's so awesome, you are so brave! wishing you the best!

Sheri Ann || Sprinkles and Style said...

So, so, so excited for you Julia! Congratulations! Your story was wonderful and very inspiring. Hopefully one day I'll have my own leap of faith story.

Can't wait to about your transition into your new job! Good luck on your last day and have a fabulous time in Europe! :]

Lesley Rials Napper said...

Yay! Congrats! Way to follow your heart, lady! It's the only way you'l truly be happy in life :) Enjoy your vacation!

Natalie said...

Soo exciting, Julia! So proud of you for making the changes you need to do what you love. I know there are so many exciting things for you to come! Congrats! xo

Ana said...

That's so awesome! YAY for doing what you like best and following your heart! :)

xoxo, Ana

Ashley {styleash} said...

Congrats Julia! I am SO excited for what's ahead for you (especially a European vaca- fun!) Hopefully some day I'll be able to make my own leap of faith. Thanks for always being so inspiring!

Tanya Marie said...

I'm so proud of you! You're such an inspiration to me every day and I'm so happy we have become friends.

Coffee + marcy long island talk forevs.

Unknown said...

Congrats Julia! I'm so proud of you! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

Oh my goodness Julia I am so happy to hear this! What a wonderful opportunity. I am so impressed by your bravery and leap of faith. I will be routing for you every step of the way!

XO,

Sam

Wendy (SpikesnSparkles) said...

congratulations! sounds like a wonderful opportunity! and i loved the leap of faith series!

renée [crossed and dotted] said...

congratulations on your next big adventure! i am sure you will be brilliant and i look forward to following along :)

{madison} said...

Love you:) So excited for your new chapter. xoxo

Taylor said...

CONGRATS!!! what exciting news!!! you will be amazing - and a European vacation is exactly what you deserve to celebrate I'm sure! can't wait to read more about the next chapter :)

itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com/

Courtney said...

first off a huge congratulations from California. This is such wonderful news! i am in the same boat as you (with my job being the wrong fit) and would love to chat about networking tips, etc. Can I email you?

Dara {Habersham Haven} said...

I'm so happy that you will be doing what you love! I can only hope that one day I will have my own leap of faith story! This corporate world isn't my thing...Congrats and safe travels!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!!!!! That is such exciting news!!! I just love Tamra! Very excited and happy for you!! xoxo elizabeth

Jo G - Musings and Delights said...

So brave, well done!

Sarah Roads said...

How exciting! So happy for you. Have an amazing vacation and good luck with all the new fun stuff you get to do! Proud you made the leap! And so jealous you get to eat lots of cake!

Elle Sees said...

yayyyyy! i love her site, so i'm excited you'll be happy.

Caitlin said...

So amazing. You have such wonderful things coming your way. Starting with a wonderful romp around Europe. Have an amazing time!

-Caitlin @ Reverie to Reality

Laura said...

Oh my goodness!!! I can't even believe how amazing you must be feeling right now! A million congrats and I can't WAIT to see what comes next!!
xo
laura

Drew {Coral Cafe} said...

Oh my goodness! This is HUUUUGE!!
Congrats on taking such a leap and making your dreams come true!!
I wish you all the best!! What an incredible opportunity!
Looking forward to following you along the way on your new adventure!

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

Have fun in Europe!! Looking forward to your return! x

Liz said...

so glad you tweeted about the Every Girl so I could find your blog!! Love it - and this post was SO inspiring! Hope you're having a fabulous time in Europe - my husband and I took a leap of faith 6 months ago and moved to Amsterdam! It's been rough at times, but mostly ridiculously incredible to live out a lifelong dream :)

kelly said...

Congrats. I totally feel you and love this inspiring series of posts. I was once in the Advertising account side of things and left it about a year ago after many unhappy years. I applaud anyone who can truly take a leap of faith and move out a situation that isn't fulfilling. Life is too short. Here. Here! :))

Emily said...

I stumbled across your blog today and boy was it meant to be...I was a Communications major, Business Marketing and Spanish minors in college and moved to NYC right after college to work in advertising on the account side. After 2 years in advertising, I realized that what I had thought was my dream was totally overwhelming and not my dream after all. Everything became hard. Long story short, I moved home to Delaware and got a completely different job in the financial industry. It's not what I want to do either, but pays the bills. The one thing I truly miss right now is that passion I used to have and the feeling of creating something from scratch. I've been spending a lot of time recently to reevaluate what I want in life and your blog just gave me that extra push to follow my heart. So I wanted to say thank you for sharing your journey and wish you the best - can't wait to read about your next steps.

Unapologetically Mundane said...

I must have stumbled onto a very small-world section of the Internet today, because I started at Elembee, somehow ended up on the blog of the woman who designed the Ever Swoon branding, and am now here.

Congratulations! Hope you find all of the fulfillment you're looking for.

Lindsay // Vineyard Loveknots said...

I haven't had the chance to leave my CONGRATS yet!!! So exciting, the site looks great.