Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, December 22, 2011

work happiness

On average, I spend about 45 hours a week at work. That is more hours then I spend doing anything else -- besides sleeping. I'm sure most of you are like me, and your day job involves sitting in a lifeless cube. Well, this post is dedicated to the little ways that I made my cube feel like a home away from home. 

First, I put up a pretty kate spade wall calendar  to keep track of appointments, days off etc. It is bright and cheery and makes me smile. 



Second, I have a flag from my alma matter, SMU, hanging on a cube wall. Go mustangs! I also organized my pens in a pretty mug, and made sure I had a cute desk planner. Now that 2011 is coming to an end, I must find a new planner. Any suggestions?

Finally, as you can see below, I included three of my favorite items. The first is a framed quote my sister gave me for Christmas last year. It is something I read on a daily basis, and it reminds me to stay calm, live in the moment, and pursue what I love. The second item is a mini Eiffel Tower. It reminds me of my studies abroad, and my happy place (which I will be returning to in February!) Third, I have a mini Lafco candle. It provides just the right amount of scent, and looks pretty too! 

What do you have at your desk? I'm always curious how people decorate bland grey cubes -- I'm open to any suggestions to spruce things up more. 



“This is your life. Do what you love, and do it often. If you don’t like something, change it. If you don’t like your job, quit. If you don’t have enough time, stop watching TV. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop; they will be waiting for you when you start doing things you love. Stop over analyzing, all emotions are beautiful. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Life is simple. Open your mind, arms, and heart to new things and people, we are united in our differences. Ask the next person you see what their passion is, and share your inspiring dream with them. Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself. Some opportuniites only come once, seize them. Life is about the people you meet, and the things you create with them so go out and start creating. Life is short. Live your dream, and wear your passion.”

9 comments:

Carly {a simple affair} said...

Love the frame. Love the quote. Such wonderful pieces to spice up your desk. As for planners, well my heart belongs to Erin Condren on this one. It may be bigger than you're used to but I'm obsessed. Blogged about it here (http://asimpleaffairblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/two-words-for-youerin-condren.html). The website has a great video on it too!

xoxo,

Carly

Samantha said...

I needed this Desk inspo! With the new year, I need to revitalize my work space, I also spend 40 hours in a lifeless cube and need so spice things up a bit!

viv said...

Love this. I have a few picture frames and my gorgeous 2012 planner that my secret santa got me sitting on my desk, but my favorite thing is my small xmas tree :) I have my own office with a window so I try to keep flowers or plants alive on the ledge!
fashiontruffles.blogspot.com

One Stylish Day at a Time said...

I'm in the exact same position! I am lucky enough to have my own office but I'm trying to bring the wood paneling and brass hardware into this century. I put up a few nice lamps, a collection of globes, a ming vase, and of course, tons of framed pictures. It helps! but of course, I still don't like the place- I'd rather be at home! Also, check out Daily Crush today, she just posted a ton of cute planners.

Ashley {styleash} said...

I've been at my current corporate job for 6 months I just realized and have only managed to bring in a flag from my alma matter and a vase of fake flowers. This is a definite wake up call to surround myself with things that make me happy to get me through the work day.

As for planners, I'd recommend checking out Sarah Pinto's site- http://sarahpinto.com/products.html
xx

alicia said...

that is one amazing quote! need that inspiration lately. ;)

emily rose said...

Definitely go with the Erin Condren! I loved mine this entire year and you can get really cute personalization!

Unknown said...

Could not agree more. Beautifully said. It's so easy to get bogged down on the day-to-day but if you have a bigger goal it helps to keep you focused and moving forward! And yes I work too much but for me I am doing what I love, so not such a bad trade off!

Meaghan said...

Love that quote - It's the background on my phone. Incredibly inspiring :) Great blog!

www.districtsparkle.blogspot.com